This year’s biggest Asian pop stars are the inspiration behind a few of the indoor workouts we’ve dreamed up for when it’s too cold to be playing outside. When designing a workout, the goal is to work five distinct areas: quads, butt and hamstrings, push muscles, pull muscles, and, of course, your core. With this in mind, a proper workout should only take between 30 and 45 minutes. Remember: Work harder, not longer.
For legs like SNSD’s Tiffany and Jessica, you’ll want to focus on aerobics to build muscle and shed weight overall. For a jumpstart, try constant bouncing in place, which gets you sweating and makes for a great warm up. Do the following movements, five times per leg, and complete the entire circuit three times with a one- to two-minute break between sets.
- Low straight kicks while jumping in place – 5 per leg
- Kick in the opposite direction with each leg while jumping in place – 5 per leg
- Knee lifts in the opposite direction for each leg while jumping in place
- Bent knee kicks to the inner and outer thigh – 5 per leg per direction (total of 10 per leg)
- High straight leg kicks to the opposite side – 5 per leg
If building muscle and increasing strength is more your style, try these exercises which focus on the quads, butt, and hamstrings.
- Squats – 10 reps
- Mountain Climbers – 10 reps per leg
- Lunges – 5 reps per leg
Butt and Hamstrings
- Hip Raises – 5 reps
- Step-Ups – 5 reps per leg
- Toe Taps – 5 reps per leg
For a strong core and arms, we’re taking inspiration from K-pop’s favorite tomboy, Amber Liu of F(x). Aside from her pop star status, Amber also holds a black belt in Taekwondo! Complete each exercise five times per set for three sets with short breaks in between. Here’s how to work your arms (push and pull muscles) and abs:
- Push-ups – 5 reps
- Dips – 5 reps
- Tricep Pushups – 5 reps
- Chin-ups or Pull-ups – 5 reps or as many as you can do
- Plank – 30 seconds
- Leg Lifts – 10 reps
- Crunches – 10 reps
Test out our ultimate indoor workout and tell us about your results!
Last modified: December 24, 2014