What You Should Eat to Get Beautiful Skin
Though there is no evidence behind skin myths like how eating junk food and chocolate will cause you to break out, it is proven that eating a well-balanced, nutritious diet has positive effects on your skin. Refined, sugary foods may comfort us in the short term, but they only make our skin (and health) suffer more. So if you’re stressed and tempted to reach for a cookie or a bag of chips, think again. Experts and nutritionists agree that if you want clear, radiant skin, you need to bring beauty from within. Here are the top 10 foods that will keep your skin soft and beautiful, as recommended by Registered Dietician Lisa Drayer, in her book, “The Beauty Diet."
1. Wild Salmon. If there’s any fish you should be eating, it’s wild salmon. Wild salmon is packed with heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which helps fight inflammation that causes acne and enhances the appearance of our skin by keeping it smooth and supple.
2. Blueberries. These small antioxidant powerhouses not only add a kick of color to a delicious, healthy dessert, but they help protect you from premature aging while increasing the flow of circulation in our skin so that it looks firm and radiant.
3. Yogurt. Yogurt is a beauty food because it’s an excellent source of the mineral zinc, which is essential in cell renewal and repair. If you’re frustrated with those annoying dark scars from acne, eat more yogurt to help new layers of skin grow. Yogurt is also a good source of calcium, which is beneficial for skin cell growth, not to mention a gorgeous smile.
4. Oysters. They may be known for their aphrodisiac effects, but these tasty shellfish are especially rich in the mineral zinc, which provides structural support for your skin.
5. Kiwi. If you thought oranges were the only fruits high in vitamin C, this furry, egg-shaped fruit is brimming with vitamin C and other skin-friendly antioxidants that help stimulate collagen synthesis, which is crucial in warding off inflammation and keeping your skin clear.
6. Sweet Potatoes. When we think of sweet potatoes, memories of Thanksgiving may come to mind, but this shouldn’t be the only time we’re eating them. Sweet potatoes are beauty foods because they are packed with beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant that later converts into vitamin A, which protects our cells from free radicals, keeping our skin smooth and protecting it from sun damage.
7. Spinach. Popeye didn’t eat spinach just to grow strong muscles. Spinach is a beauty food because it is rich in lutein and beta-carotene to keep our skin clear from breakouts and our eyes bright.
8. Tomatoes. Tomatoes are rich in the antioxidant lycopene, which protects our skin from premature aging.
9. Walnuts. Unlike other nuts, walnuts are particularly rich in omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E to keep our complexions smooth and radiant.
10. Dark Chocolate. Ha, well look who’s questioning those beauty myths now. Dark chocolate hits the list of top beauty foods because of its natural anti-aging properties called flavonoids that keep our skin looking young and fresh.
So now that you know what the top beauty foods are, indulge as much as you can. These foods will not only make you feel great and improve your health, but they will also keep you looking at your best. Bon appétit!
Photo via Avon