Join a community of Asian American women as you work to sharpen your journalistic and writing acumen. Mentors from Mochi will guide a small cohort of 6 Asian American undergraduates through practicums and reflections during the course of the internship. Interns will get experience writing and receiving edits, exposure to the industry through personal and professional anecdotes, and will leave having 1-2 bylines per month. Interns will also learn how to market themselves via social media, hear from guest speakers, and have time to workshop skills needed to be a dynamic writer.
One of our goals as a volunteer-run organization is to increase Asian American women’s media representation. By the completion of this internship, each participant will have:
- At least 4 published articles related to current events and experience developing accompanying social media content
- 1 published article in Mochi’s Fall issue
- Self-development sessions and opportunities to hear from guest speakers
We anticipate that interns will work between 2-5 hours per week for the duration of the internship. We consider our internship to be along the lines of an unpaid practicum and community space, and thus are open to participants who are undertaking other internships simultaneously. That being said, we are happy to work with your institution to provide college credit.
What are the benefits of joining?
- Gain experience in how a digital publication and organization is managed and run
- Work with Mochi staff mentors on personal development, projects or goals
- Contribute to Mochi’s current events column and gain experience for your resume
- Develop marketing, social media, and journalism skills
- Become a member of Mochi’s close-knit community
- Must be an enrolled college student or graduated no earlier than 2020
- Demonstrate strong communication, writing, and interpersonal skills
- Exhibit leadership, dependability, and enthusiasm for Mochi’s mission
- Shows initiative and ability to independently work on assignments
Duration: Each internship will last 3 months with the possibility of continuing. Candidates must communicate if they wish to extend their internship duration.
The program will be run according to general semester durations in the Spring and Fall. We also hold sessions in the summer.
2022 schedule: Summer Internship will run from from June 1 to August 28; apply by end of day April 29, 2022
Expected weekly commitment: 2-5 hours
REQUIREMENT: You must be available the 1st and 3rd Sundays of every month 3:00 pm – 4:15 pm PDT // 6:00 pm – 7:15 pm EDT.
(June 12, June 26, July 10, July 24, August 14, August 28)
How to Apply
Your cover letter should include:
- 2-3 pitches of articles you’d like to write about during your internship (current event topics are preferred) with expressed areas of journalistic interest.
- An optional writing samples.
- Short responses to the questions below:
- What does being Asian American mean to you?
- Please describe any relevant experience you have had.
You must express on your application if you want college credit and share the information on college credit requirements from your advisor or professor in your email.
Applications are due by Friday, April 29, 2022 at 11:59 pm EDT.
Feel free to email any questions to email@example.com.
Last modified: April 28, 2022